Thursday

Elk (10.07.10)

Last night, I had another first. The Family and I went with some friends to Rocky Mountain National Park to watch the elk and listen to them bugle. And I must say, it was pretty cool!  First, we drove to a great spot near a little stream where we ate really yummy chili and cinnamon rolls. (D-licious combo, by the way!) The eating and talking and laughter was also accompanied by a lot of chasing and keeping the Boy from getting in the water. Brrrr! But it was still lots of fun!  After we packed up, we drove a little ways to a spot where a large herd of girl elk (cows...maybe?) was being corralled by a boy elk (buck). As you can see, I am not really up on my elk terminology just yet, this being my first elk watching/listening experience. Well, anyway, the boy elk was making this eirie, yet quite beautiful, noise called bugling. The herd was close to us, so we were able to get some cool pictures. I would love to do it again. I think The Boy will enjoy it more when he is a little older. He was just interested in playing in "daddy car" while it was parked on the side of the road. The Girl thought it was pretty cool. Well, at least she didn't cry. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment