Tuesday

Goal: Explore Sewing (09.21.2010)

A couple of months ago, I purchased fabric to make valances for my kitchen windows. I bought the fabric with the hopes that it would give me the push I needed into the world of simple sewing. But since I neither owned a sewing machine nor had the know-how to use one, my mother-in-law brought one with her when she came out to visit in August. She taught me how to use the nearly-antique little machine, and then she left it here for me to borrow for a while. I honestly have not used it since she left, but I really want to!

One of my goals for this next year is to "Explore Sewing". I have several friends who are very crafty and make the ca-U-test stuff...like blankets, clothes, baby clothes/accessories, etc. I want to be crafty too! Plus, I want to be able to hem or mend things if when the need arises.

So, I am planning to make a few things using this borrowed machine to see if I want to purchase my own. Tonight, I went to Joanne Fabrics to get some...fabric. I have a couple of projects in mind, and I really want to get started. However, walking into that place this evening was like walking into a huge room filled with....lots and lots of fabric. I have been in that store on a number of occasions, but never to buy fabric for my own project. I walked up and down the aisles unsure of how much fabric I needed, what colors/patterns I wanted, or even the type of fabric I wanted/needed. I tried to call one of my friends for help while I was standing in the middle of the quilting fabric section, but she didn't answer. So, since I really had no idea what I was doing, I left. Overwhelmed. And with nothing.

As I was driving home, my friend called back and was able to answer the questions I had related to one of the projects. I think I am going to try again tomorrow now that I have a little more direction. Or maybe I will try to go on a day when I don't have to take kids. But, one of my projects has a deadline quickly approaching, so I better not wait too long.

I will post pictures of completed projects, and even some during the process. My hope is that I will actually use the machine and not just want to, now that my goal is declared into cyber-space. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I know you can do it! Be sure and call me if you need help with that old machine!

    ReplyDelete